the rook unit vox relay system previewer
please visit the vox page on rook.zone for vocab list and syntax.
for testing voxes intended to be played live during videochess streams.
- patch notes -
3/18/22 __ ver 22.214.171.124
- DIDNT ACTUALLY fix that +/- thing in the previous update. fixed it for real now
3/18/22 __ ver 126.96.36.199
- fixed a bug wherein dittos (*) would attempt to ditto commands, and would thus appear to do nothing in a sequence with a command preceding the ditto.
- fixed a bug wherein newline characters would not get trimmed from input.
- fixed a bug wherein, uhh: if a clip had a + and the following ditto had a -, the pitch shifts would mix rather than get overwritten. so something like "n18+3 *-2" would result in the ditto becoming "n18+1".
- changed the way doubleupped sounds are played, so they should more consistently play at exactly the same time. this almost definitely will break something somewhere but i couldn't figure anything out in my short time testing.
- changed the note's pad to "scratchpad".
remember, there's a bug report thread at the very bottom of this 100 mile long page. please let me know down there if you discover any bugs! thank you!
3/17/22 __ ver 188.8.131.52
-- ITCH PAGE CHANGE
- added a discussion board to the bottom of this page. from now on please report bugs in the bug report thread, or else i will forget about them! the only problem is that this page is 1000000000 lines long due to patch notes. maybe i'll move these somewhere else...
- fixed an issue where shortening the first clip in a doubleup would not take effect
- fixed an issue where a doubleup could be stored between voxes
- grant's here2 and here3 were swapped. oops! fixed it
- fixed a bug i must've introduced quite a while ago with regard to timing in song mode that doesnt seem to have come up much (or at all) since... But I Fixed It
- refactored how ditto clips work behind the scenes. previously, a ditto note that contained both a modifier (pitch shift or sentence mix) and something considered to be "punctuation" (comma, period, 's, n't) would incorrectly drop the modifier, leaving the ditto'd clip at base pitch and start/end times. now... it should work! maybe! it's possible that the changes i made will cause issues elsewhere so let me know!
- changed wording on the notespad screen. it's more of an ephemeral scratchpad now...
-- KNOWN BUGS
- you can chain doubleups. this is a little fun but not intended behavior, so some stuff breaks when you do it. (namely the way it normally cuts the first clip in a doubleup short.) thinking about canonizing the functionality but still deciding how best to do it.
3/14/22 __ ver 184.108.40.206
-- VOX ADDITIONS
- added new persona, "grant". you know him well. accessed with "^g". check out the vox page on rook.zone to see what he brings to the table.
- added a new command, the double up. (^d) this will cause the next two sounds following this command to play simultaneously. we enter a new age...
- slight change to how vox vocabs are handled! different character vocabs are now referred to as "personas". for personas other than the default vox voice, you can use their command code in one of two ways: either as a toggle, or a swap. here's what i mean by this: toggle: "^m you want it ^m no" in this instance, ^m is used to turn morshu mode on, and then turn it off. this is how it's always worked. but now you can also do things like this: switch: "^m you want it ^v no ^g you wanna it ^v no-8" in THIS instance, we swap from morshu, to vox, to grant, back to vox. it just reads a little easier!
- new sfx: mgs_die, ut_break, ut_dust, ut_hurt, ut_knife, elden_kill, elden_item, elden_grace, bloodwarn
- new base vocab: grant, kirkhope
- new morshu vocab: grant, kirkhope
- new notes: banjonote (n19), banjonote2 (n20), banjonote3 (n21), diddynote (n22), diddynote2 (n23), diddynote4 (n24)
-- EDITOR QUALITY OF LIFE CHANGES
- added a link to the wonderful vox log searcher made by belbeeno! you can find it above, beneath the previewer.
- changed behavior of "play vox" button. now, if a vox is currently playing, it stops it dead in its tracks to play your new one rather than queueing up the new one to play after the current one is finished.
- changed behavior of "stop vox" button. previously it allowed the current sound to finish, but stopped further sounds from playing. now it also stops the current sound.
- swapped input fields from default unity ones to textmeshpro ones. this has a few benefits, like some common keyboard shortcuts working (shift+arrow key to select), the ability to doubleclick to select a word, and scrollbar suport.
- added support for undo/redo!!! undo is ctrl+z and redo is either ctrl+shift+z or ctrl+y. both work! the undo stack supports up to 128 entries (completely arbitrary, i just felt like i had to put a limit on it) so go hogwild.
- added ability to play a highlighted selection rather than entire vox! this is sophisticated and will apply any modifier codes (personas, songmode, bpm etc) that would normally be active at the highlighted point if the vox were to be played normally. basically you don't have to worry about capturing the control codes in your highlighted selection.
- added a janky notespad section. this section autosaves to your, browser profile i guess??? shortly after you finish typing. might be useful for storing works in progress or sentence mixed words you want easy access to. NOTE: nothing in here is encrypted so Please God don't write like, a password in here?? it's saved locally on your machine, not anywhere online, but still. dont take any chances!
- ok, actually, about that above feature: if i ever update the version your old notespad will get cleared. i'll see if i can figure out a better way to handle the saving but for now i guess just dont get too attached to anything in there. webgl suck's
- fixed a bug where an improperly formatted mix command (startpoint or endpoint) would break the app until refresh
- fixed volume on the garrysmod sounds & zunnote
- this isn't actually part of the editor but avid viewers will know what im talking about: fixed it so the vox sprite doesn't keep talking forever if a vox ends with audiojunglewarn on stream
11.1.21 __ ver 220.127.116.11
- new concept: sequences & rng. new vocab which will play a sound from a pool. these sounds can have random elements, such as pitch and duration, which will (or, should,) be overwritten by manual pitch/duration modifiers. try putting one of them in and following them with a bunch of *s and you'll catch on quick!
- new sequence items: banjotalk, kazooietalk, talontrot, bottlestalk, gruntytalk, gmod_wood, gmod_ragdoll, gmod_metal, hl_crowbar, hl_step
- new sfx items: smw_1up, smw_bullet, smw_correct, smw_crumble, smw_door, smw_feather, smw_fly, smw_spit, smw_spring, smw_wrong, smw_yossy, bonkwarn, hl_hev, hl_hevcharge, hl_med, hl_medcharge, shinewarn, defeatwarn
- new notes: hazymazenote (n15), hauntnote (n16), pizzicatonote (n17), zunnote (n18)
- new drums: hazymazedrum (d4), hazymazewood (d5), yosbongonote (d6)
- this is a bit technical, but: voxes have their rng seeded based on valid vox vocab and order. this means that if you use a sequence item in your vox, such as banjotalk, the rng will play out the same way every time you play that vox. this means that when you play a vox on stream, it'll sound exactly the same as it does to you here in the previewer. however, if you want to change the way the rng plays out in a given vox without adding more sounds, there is a way to manipulate the rng: the word dust is not a valid vocabulary word, but it WILL affect a vox's rng seed. if you don't like how your rng plays out, try generating some dust.
10.21.21 __ ver 18.104.22.168
- new morshu vocab: transmit, kromer.
- new sfx items: newwarn, audiojunglewarn, retro_a, retro_i, retro_u, retro_ka.
8.15.21 __ ver 22.214.171.124
- new toggle: morshu mode. toggle it on/off with ^morshu or ^m.
- any words that follow this command will try to pull from morshu's vocabulary rather than the normal black mesa announcement system vocabulary.
-it must be toggled off again with another ^morshu or ^m to go back to using the regular vox vocab.
- morshu's vocab is EXTREMELY limited compared to the regular vox so please consult the vox page on rook.zone to learn his words!
- also added normal vox vocab item: tremendous.
- also added sfx item: semisolidplatwarn.
- lengthened morshunote (n14).
- can now shorten ^song to ^s. this doesn't save characters in most cases unless you are swapping in and out of song mode within one vox.
8.10.21 __ ver 126.96.36.199
- major feature update: Sentence Mixing. you may now specify where within a clip to start and stop playing. think about each individual clip as having a "progress" from 0 to 1. so .2 is 20% of the way into the clip, .75 is 75% of the way into the clip, etc.
- >: modifying character to select a start point. ie, supercooled>.5 will start halfway into the clip and sound like cooled.
- <: modifying character to select an endpoint. ie, supercooled<.5 will end halfway into the clip and sound like super.
- you can combine both of these, as in supercooled>.25<.75. this will start at 25% and end at 75%, and sound like percool.
- there will probably be bugs! we'll figure them out as we go. vox timing is NOT especially precise, so like every other part of this system, there will be odd behaviors and idiosyncrasies to be learned.
8.2.21 __ ver 188.8.131.52
- added Stop Vox button so don't have to wait for a vox to finish before retrying.
- new vocab: blade, coffee, give, imbibe (improved sound), post, rancher
- new warns: abilitywarn, coolwarn, pastwarn, futurewarn, mysterywarn,
spookywarn, treasurewarn, trexwarn, wrestlewarn, yehoowarn
- new note: morshunote (n14)
3.26.21 __ ver 184.108.40.206
- new vocab: hunter, imbibe, milk, rathalos, italiano
- lowered the volume of bupnote, dantnote, and downote slightly to better match other notes.
2.10.21 __ ver 220.127.116.11
- there was a bug where using * after a control code like ^song or ^l=# would not properly ditto the most recent valid note. i fixed it
- fixed another edge case involving * and pitch where compounds would be pitched up to 1.1x.
- also fixed it so periods, commas, and restnotes are not eligible to be ditto'd
- added another digit to the version number.
2.10.21 __ ver 1.0.2
- replaced valve native comma/period sounds (which had static in them) with pure silence.
- fixed bug regarding pitch/duration
- notes can no longer be used outside of song mode.
- added the ditto (*). only usable in song mode. repeats the previous clip. copies pitch as well. using a different pitch string will replace the copied pitch, and using *+0 will return to base pitch. mostly useful for being thrifty with char limit.
new vocab: cubic, ruby, rubies, act, chaos, small, little, richer, jormungandr
new notes: orchnote (n12), shynote (n13)
2.6.21 __ ver 1.0.1
- removed deprecated notes (highcnote, highcatnote, highcuicanote)
- fixed bug regarding clip/pitch duration
- added char counter
- better implementation of webgl copypaste
- made it look slightly nicer